Friday, April 16, 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar ~ Life Cycle of a Butterfly





This week at preschool, we talked about the life cycle of a butterfly. We read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle and had music, art, and circle time activities tied into this lesson.
The children loved making their own caterpillars and butterflies. I loved hearing the "ooh's" and "ahh's" as we turned the last page of the book that showed the beautiful butterfly! We read the story a couple of times and by the second time, the children could already guess the next step. Look at those fine motor skills at work as they "pinch" the pom poms for the caterpillar's body! This story/theme introduces sequencing to them (early literacy) used to build their foundation of learning to read. They loved this story and I recommend all of Eric Carle's books for your home library. They are wonderful for children this age. This group is so smart, they amaze me everyday! Miss Elizabeth taught us a couple of butterfly songs in music and had a beautiful butterfly puppet and stamp! We had a very busy, wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. I apologize for the double postings of pictures, my computer has been having problems (operator error, I'm sure) and I couldn't see or preview which pictures were on the post. So, that is why you have multiple postings of pictures on each post.

    ReplyDelete